A Crash Course in Calvinism?

John Calvin is viewed to be the most influential Reformer aside from Martin Luther, Huldrytch Zwingli, Charles Wesley, John Wesley and John Knox.  John Knox would be the founder of the Presbyterian movement and the Wesley brothers, the Methodist movement.  However the hallmark of Reformed Theology is with Calvinism.  Although I don't entirely agree with John Calvin's other doctrines (ex. he believed that Mary stayed a virgin while he didn't elevate her like other women) but he had become responsible for the writing of several books and manuals that would be used so much in the history of Christianity.  What amazed me also was that John Calvin used to go to school together with the founder of the dreaded Jesuit Order, Ignatius of Loyola.

I would admit I wasn't exactly a Calvinist.  I got saved at the age of thirteen years old, I soon repented of my sins and asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior and thus begun that journey.  I would soon be fascinated by the brave history of the Reformation.  What I soon realized was that there are Calvinists and non-Calvinists (quasi-Arminian but not Arminian, Arminians believe in conditional security) among true believers.  Pastor David W. Cloud (a non-Calvinist Baptist) had mentioned that he could consider a Calvinist as a member of the family of Christ if there are signs of true conversion but he does not embrace Calvinism completely.  Some people while they aren't Calvinists have also enjoyed the teaching of Calvinist preachers such as Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Dr. John F. Macarthur. Dr. Robert Charles Sproul Sr., Paul David Washer, John Piper, Todd Friel, Ray Comfort and Jerry Bridges.

If there's any preacher today in Calvinism's kingdom today who's really getting attention (for better or for worse) is Dr. John F. MacArthur.  While I used to be an unfair critic of his, the more I have analyzed his preachings, the more I realize he was targeting shallow conversion.  If one has read "The Gospel According to Jesus" and "Hard To Believe" (recent edition, the old edition was revised after typographical error) all teach the idea of the Perseverance of the Saints that differentiates the true convert from the false convert.  Another important person in understanding Calvinism is Dr. Robert Charles Sproul and his program "Renewing Your Mind".  A book that may start to get me equipped his book called "Chosen by God".  Arthur Pink's book "Chosen For Salvation" also has a very good equipment for Calvinism.

But what better way is there to learn Calvinism than a writing by John Calvin himself right?  Fortunately one can download the "Institutes of Christian Religion" into one's Tablet or Smart Phone for FREE from the Google Apps store.  The book itself is a great help for any newbie in Reformed Theology.  Sure I have enjoyed listening to Macarthur, Sproul and Washer but what better way to learn Calvinism than from John Calvin himself?  I would suggest downloading the book into any Google-supported or Apple device you have.  Reading through the book by John Calvin would be the best start to get one's self acquainted with Calvinistic theology.