When Pastors Turn Into Bullies Instead of Shepherds

Anger is natural part of man, God gets angry too. The issue however is this in Ephesians 4:26 that if you are angry, do not sin and do not let the sun go down, be reasonable. Being angry in itself is not a sin, even Jesus got angry with the Pharisees for their lousy application of the Law and rebuked them but He did not bully them into submission. However it becomes an issue when pastors suddenly become ill-tempered, belligerent and mean which is in contrast to James 1:19 instructing pastors to be slow to anger rather than let their temper get the best of them. While every shepherd must learn to throw rocks at wolves, however they are not to throw rocks at their own sheep! So I was thinking how can pastors become bullies?

Here's a few examples of how pastors can turn into bullies instead of shepherds:

1.) Pastors who frequently attend debates with other religions can get very unprofessional. 

That was my problem with some IFB pastors who instead of focusing on soulwinning would attending to debates with apologists of other religions. While I certainly do not agree with the doctrines of the likes of the CFD, the INC and the ADD but debating with them is USELESS. I tried listening to a rather stupid exchange of nonsense between and IFB and a CFD in a debate. The IFB's arguments were filled with as much guilt with association and Ad Hominen as the other party. These pastors are in the danger of becoming bullies because they might even start sending their flock members to do debates which only adds more conflict. Such conflicts may escalate into real brawls soon enough. As said, it's stupid to criticize the unprofessional behavior of such people when they themselves are becoming just as professional. That's why I reject any debate from anyone especially when I know such people are professional hecklers. I just stand by what the Bible says, these days I choose not to argue with people.

2.) Fighting back at those unsaved people who heckle and insult them. 

It's very hard not to do that I would admit especially turning your other cheek when needed requires swallowing your pride. While it's definitely okay to ask for justice especially if your livelihood, physical well-being or life is on the line like a woman who is about to be raped has the right to kill in self-defense, however it is NOT right for pastors to strike people responding to hecklers. I mean, the Internet is a whole huge place to fight. I get heckled every now and then, I even get falsely accused every now and then and my mistake was to get mad and fight fire with fire which only made it worse. I"ve read even some of the stupidest accusations against me but then again why on Earth should I respond to them? I'm sure there's more than one person who hates my guts. If pastors fight back at people who heckle them claiming it was self-defense, they become belligerent. I mean if these pastors ever consider their ministry, they should start to worry when they're not heckled for righteousness' sake and when those unfair critics start saying well about them. We have two ears so the other hole to allow insults to pass through, no use dwelling on insults and heckling. Just as I learned it, "Just don't mind them, just keep preaching." That's why I don't mind those so-called Christian websites, they are a waste of my time when I should be instead preaching the Good News!

3.) Getting strict out of its place. 

It's good to be strict with morality in the church but it's never good for a pastor to become a dictator. These pastors may actually start implementing discipline harshly like yelling at their pulpit members or even getting physical like slapping a person over a disagreement. This might result to harsh rebukes rather than firm but reasonable ones. You might even expect this pastor to get mad and slam the Bible at the face of somebody or worse decide to injure the person out of anger. This actually causes more harm than good as while being strict is good but being dictatorial with the flock of Christians can actually destroy morale among its troops. Jesus is Lord and that is true, however He wasn't a Lord who bullied people into submission, He was firm yet He was also gentle.

4.) Forcing stuff down the throats of people. 

That is, this is a pastor who might actually start badmouthing people who he has witnessed to and never got saved. Instead of praying for them who reject the Gospel, he instead decides to say, "Well I pray that you will die and go to Hell." It really was very disheartening to hear a pastor who even prayed that Barack Obama will die. I do not support Barack Obama's toleration of same sex marriages and abortion but it does not give me the right to pray for his damnation. Even Paul didn't write a letter to the Romans to revolt against Nero neither did the three friends of Daniel plan to kill Nebuchadnezzar. It was all about defying evil rules without being disrespectful. While I am definitely a bigot by worldly standards because I do not accept other religions because they're wrong and I believe Jesus is the only Way to Heaven, but extremist measures are very uncalled for.