Reflecting on Charles Spurgeon's Quote on the Highlands of Affliction

I always thought of why Christians had to suffer affliction, I complained on why the righteous must suffer while the wicked are allowed to prosper.  But when you think of it, Christians are still imperfect and there's perfection to work.  A Christian is not perfect, they are still sinners even if they are no longer enslaved by sin, they still struggle and fall into sin.  No Christian's sins are 100% nailed to the cross but daily, the sins are nailed to the cross until glorification.  

I am convinced that affliction teaches perseverance.  Psalm 119:71 says, "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes."  I remembered the quote from John Calvin which said that Christians are in bigger danger in prosperity than in affliction.  In success, it's very easy to get complacent.  Remember the illustration of the vineyard in John 15:1-8?  While the Father throws away the false converts, He prunes the true converts making sure that they bear much fruit.  Christians can be so distracted that God uses punishment to get Christians back on track to their devotion to their Lord and Master.

The classic hymn called "Higher Ground" would be a good to reflect on the Highlands of Affliction.  To reach the higher ground, one must make sacrifices.  To climb a higher mountain, one must make a sacrifice and an effort to reach higher and higher.  Nobody reaches the top of the mountain with ease but passing through the affliction that is before them.  One might consider that it's time to be thankful for the afflictions because they are what helps Christians grow.  Christians are immature when they are in the zones of comfort but let God allow the afflictions, they will certainly not break but return to their Heavenly Father.  It's much easier to pray when in affliction than when in comfort.

Affliction serves as the opportunity to practice what Christ preached like Matthew 5:43-44 which says"Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt love thine neighbor and hate thine enemy.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you;" A Christian can never truly learn to apply the verses I just mentioned if they were just having a good time.  The mockers are part of the mission field, they are never part of the missile field.  A Christian is allowed to face mockery and ridicule so he or she can apply that verse and be a more effective witness for Christ.  

In affliction, the weakness of man and the strength of God is magnified.  2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  When a Christian is afflicted, they remain humble is when the strength of God is magnified.  When a Christian is allowed to face weakness and affliction, only then God's power can be magnified because God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called and He equips them so they can do what He asks... for the greater glory of God.  The truth is I made it by God's grace and I thank Him for allowing me to make it.

When I think of false accusers who throw their worst at Christians such as false accusations combined with half-truths, remember there's this verse that should help Christians stay calm in midst of accusers as Matthew 5:11 says, "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for My sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."