Reflecting on Jonathan Edwards on Growing in Knowledge

Considering it's the Reformation and I believe that Christians today must continue what the Reformers started.  Now for the quote by Jonathan Edwards, I would agree with what he said that one must not seek to gain knowledge for the sake of applause or debate but rather for the benefit of the well-being of the Christian.  

Proverbs 1:7, 9:10 declares that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge.  Gaining godly knowledge is by fearing God and shunning evil.  Based on my experience, fearing others makes me dull but fearing God is where I gain godly knowledge.  Job 28:28 declares that fearing God includes shunning evil.  Any true Christian is called to grow in knowledge by God's grace to shun evil.  If a person is truly saved then they may fall into sin but not indulge in sin.  A Christian is never comfortable in the pig pens because he is not a pig.

The Bible also warns in 2 Timothy 2:16 that profane babbling should be shunned.  In other words, debates are not to be encouraged.  When I was newly saved, I thought that the more I gained knowledge with the Bible, the more I should debate with my unbelieving folks.  Instead, it made me earn their ire because every time they saw me with my old Bible, it meant the signal, "Here comes that Bible Thumper!"  The more I read the Bible, the more I realized the very book that I would debate from condemned my actions of debating with others.

The Apostle Paul also warns in 1 Corinthians 13:2 that says that a person may have a lot of knowledge but does not have love, it means nothing.  Although Christians are called to warn others about judgment and Hell but they are told to do it in love.  It absolutely does not make sense to be a Christian but to be harsh and judgmental towards others.  While the truth should never be watered down but to be as offensive as possible like by disputing with others is also severely misguided as a person who keeps seeking to grow in knowledge for the sake of applause.