Martin Luther, the Christian and Prayer Life

Just as John Calvin says that Christians are in bigger danger when they are in their prosperity than affliction, the same can go for prayer. Martin Luther's quote on prayer reveals the truth of the Christian life. A Christian without prayer is a powerless Christian and it's very difficult to pray and to be thankful for the good times. How does God deal with it? He sends harder times to the Christian life so they will pray more.

One quote I remembered from a pastor once said, "Every problem is an invitation to prayer." I have noticed that in good times, it's very hard to thank God due to the problem of sin. God is too good and holy as not to allow the believer to be without prayer and fellowship. Hebrews 12:5-7 says that those who God loves He chastises and the Christian who prays less should expect chastisement so they will pray more.

Prayer means talking and spending time with God to which it goes, "Prayer does not change God, it changes me." When one gets into prayer with God, it goes with ACTS namely Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication. Adoration helps us to see God is above all, confession means to let the burden of sin go away, thanksgiving is to be thankful to God for everything and supplication is to ask that God be glorified.

He had also said, "Prayer is a strong wall and fortress of the Church; it is a goodly Christian weapon." and "To be a Christian without prayer is to be no more possible to be alive without breathing." The whole idea of a Christian who hates genuine prayer is non-existent because true Christianity involves prayer to God through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Prayer itself is what keeps a Christian going even in the midst of trouble and weakness. Christians are weak in themselves so that is why constant fellowship is needed to avoid backsliding.

When Luther was about to enter into the Diet of Worms, he had prayed this prayer:
O God, Almighty God everlasting! How dreadful is the world! Behold how its mouth opens to swallow me up and how shall is my faith in Thee! Oh! The weakness of the flesh and the power of Satan! If I am to depend upon my strength of this world- all is over... the knell is struck... sentence is gone forth... O God! O God! Oh Thou, my God help me against all the wisdom of this world. Do this, I beseech Thee; Thou shouldst do this... by Thy own mighty power... the work is not mine but Thine. I have no business here... I have nothing to contend for with these great men of the world! I would gladly pass my days in happiness and peace. But the cause is Thine... and it is righteous and everlasting! O LORD help me! O faithful and unchangeable God! I lean not upon man. It were vain! Whatever is of man is tottering, whatever proceeds from him must fail. My God my God! Dost Thou not hear? My God art Thou no longer living? Nay Thou canst not die! Thou dost but hide Thyself. Thou has chosen me for this work. I know it! Therefore O God, accomplish Thine own will! Forsake me not for the sake of Thy beloved Son, Jesus Christ, my Defense, my Buckler and my Stronghold. LORD- where art Thou? My God where art Thou? Come I pray Thee I am ready... behold me prepared to lay down my life for thy truth... suffering like a lamb. For the cause is holy. It is Thine own! I will not let the go no, not yet for all eternity! And though the world should be thronged with devils- and this body which is the work of Thine hands should be cast forth, trodden under foot, cut in pieces, consumed to ashes, my soul is Thine. Yes I have Thine own word to assure me of it. My soul belongs to Thee and will abide in Thee forever. Amen... Oh God send help... Amen!

It's easier to pray during one's time of hardship rather than one's time of ease. And when one prays the more to God during times of trial, the more the Christian is confident to face life's trials.