Sometimes It's Better for Christians to Have Solitude and Silence

Don't get me wrong - Christians must meet in fellowship and do group Bible studies to become better.  There is the paradox that can happen in Christian life as much as God wants Christians to meet other Christians, people can have solitude in groups like a group of persecuted believers where they are ostracized from society.  When it comes to solitude is better than society, it's better to be with other outcasts for the sake of Christ rather than to become associated with society when it continues to rebel against God doing what's right in their own eyes.  The focus of the Christian is to be accepted by other believers and they are accepted by God.  The Christian cannot be accepted by both God and the world (John 15:18-19, James 4:4).  In both the Old Testament and the New Testament, believers would frequently meet with the faithful remnant instead of getting accepted into society.  Daniel and his three friends Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego spent time with each other rather than to be accepted by the norms of the wickedness of Babylonian society.

When is silence is better than speech?  In Psalm 39:1 we read David saying, "I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me."  When one is wrongfully persecuted and accused, sometimes it's best to keep quiet unless you are questioned of your hope in you (1 Peter 3:15-16).  David made a vow to keep silent when the wicked are before him and asked God to help him control his mouth.  In Psalm 141:3 we read, "Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips."  David understood the statement and we also get the statement that it's best to be silent when in doubt.  Proverbs 10:19 has Solomon saying, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise."  If a man chooses to remain calm and silent in the face of false accusation, it will soon bore the false accuser to the point he or she will look for somebody else to slander.