1 Timothy 3:15-17 says, "And that from a child thou hast known the holy Scriptures which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." How true indeed. And now more than just verses, it would be time to present actual evidence of the benefits of Bible study, which I am a beneficiary.
So what does Bible study do? So here's what it has done:
1.) Bible study has brought people to realize the notions they are sinners and that the Lord Jesus Christ is the ONLY Person who can redeem them from their sins. It brings the message of salvation to the unsaved. What better way to witness than through the Bible? We accept no other sources of authority and tradition! The Bible contains God's very own Law and His standard for holiness which shows MAN is not in the same level as God in terms of holiness (Romans 3:10-19).
2.) Because they received Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior apart from all good works, God's grace changes the lifestyle of sinful man to live for His glory (Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:11-15). The Christian life does not end with salvation, it results to good works which justifies the fact they are saved (James 2) because God works in them (Philippians 2:13). As said, it's impossible to be a Christian and not bear even one good fruit after salvation.
3.) Through the Bible, practicality is added in contrast to what humanists and atheists have to say that the Bible is a book of foolishness. Preaching the Bible have changed many heathen savages (who are mostly cannibals) into respectable individuals. The Bible in doctrine and tradition has improved lives in morality, not a life of seeking wealth for their own but in a life that selflessly supports each other.
Here are some examples:
- The letter of the apostle Paul to Philemon ended the traditional mindset of slavery (which is different from the "slavery" in the Old Testament) which is quite different from the claims of scoffers that the Bible endorses slavery.
- The mission to the Papuans after they had been converted to Christ, the natives began to become more literate as well.
- Where the Gospel is preached to the heathen natives, cannibalism also diminished when many of them were converted.
- During the Reformation, the bravery of William Tyndale to translate the Bible even at the cost of his life sparked revival instead of fear.
- Where the Bible flourished, Communism (whether atheist or Roman Catholic) fell down and its infiltrators repelled. A classic example is how through a pocket New Testament Bible were given to soldiers, many in South Korea were converted to Jesus Christ.
- The son of atheists Sir William Ramsay when he examined the Bible for himself in archeology ended up having a new different lifestyle from a life of pitiless indifference to a life for Christ.
- England through the reign of Bible-believing monarch King James prospered for some time.
- It was through the Bible that God blessed America morally and spiritually. When it was removed from the schools in 1962 (thanks to Communist infiltration), America fell down.
- The standard of education raised up as so people can read the Bible! For example, Bethany Christian School in Guadalupe, Cebu City has students that won many awards in the fields of Mathematics and science yet chose to gave God the glory. It's because of the Bible that education came to be. Dr. Jack Hyles emphasized about that learning mathematics, science, history, geography, languages and economics aids the person for true worship. On the other hand, the public schools of today have only taught humanistic philosophy which has led to utter destruction of its students in compliance to the tenth plank by Karl Marx.
4.) Bible study in schools is more beneficial than harmful especially if done right. Bethany Christian School in Guadalupe, Cebu City (my alma mater) in the Philippines is a good example. Through Bible study, students have learned everything above. During the start, the school mainly had unbelievers at a HUGE scale. However through the preaching of the Word of God and hiring Baptist pastors and apologists to teach the Word of God, things changed. Conversion started to build up, a distinction was made and also, Bethany Christian School got respect for its stand whenever the administration remained silent in the face of persecution.