Martin Luther's Prayer During Persecution

Here are the words of Martin Luther's prayer during his trail at the Diet of Worms. I took this from page 81 of Robert Charles Sproul's book "The Holiness of God". He wrote this prayer acknowledging his need for help during the times of persecution from the Unholy Inquisition:

O God, Almighty God everlasting! How dreadful is the world! Behold how its mouth opens to swallow me up and how shall is my faith in Thee! Oh! The weakness of the flesh and the power of Satan! If I am to depend upon my strength of this world- all is over... the knell is struck... sentence is gone forth... O God! O God! Oh Thou, my God help me against all the wisdom of this world. Do this, I beseech Thee; Thou shouldst do this... by Thy own mighty power... the work is not mine but Thine. I have no business here... I have nothing to contend for with these great men of the world! I would gladly pass my days in happiness and peace. But the cause is Thine... and it is righteous and everlasting! O LORD help me! O faithful and unchangeable God! I lean not upon man. It were vain! Whatever is of man is tottering, whatever proceeds from him must fail. My God my God! Dost Thou not hear? My God art Thou no longer living? Nay Thou canst not die! Thou dost but hide Thyself. Thou has chosen me for this work. I know it! Therefore O God, accomplish Thine own will! Forsake me not for the sake of Thy beloved Son, Jesus Christ, my Defense, my Buckler and my Stronghold. LORD- where art Thou? My God where art Thou? Come I pray Thee I am ready... behold me prepared to lay down my life for thy truth... suffering like a lamb. For the cause is holy. It is Thine own! I will not let the go no, not yet for all eternity! And though the world should be thronged with devils- and this body which is the work of Thine hands should be cast forth, trodden under foot, cut in pieces, consumed to ashes, my soul is Thine. Yes I have Thine own word to assure me of it. My soul belongs to Thee and will abide in Thee forever. Amen... Oh God send help... Amen!

Then Martin Luther later said:
Since then your majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of Popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen.