The Real Reason WHY I Give Tithes and First Fruits

It's an utter heresy roaming around the Church that the tithes and the first fruits are guarantors that they will free the Christian from life's perils and make them billionaires - that is CROOKED theology. Well didn't Malachi 3:10 say that God will rebuke the devourer? Of course He did BUT it didn't mean immunity from the devourer, sometimes God will rebuke the devourer only after the damage is done and the Christian doesn't get the money back - take it from me! I've been there, done that!

In my thoughts, the reason why I give my first fruits and tithes is because I love theLORD even if He will not make me a billionaire and though He may slay me, in Him will I trust. Some people claim that the tithes aren't anymore valid in the New Testament, except they had become love offerings as tithing is not mentioned again. However when a Christian gives 10% of what they own or in the first year, their very first weekly earning of the year as the first fruits it's not because it's "Lord, receive my offering, make me a billionaire." type of thinking and that's not what I think, I give them because I love God and I support His work as well.

Rather, the first fruits and tithes are meant so that there may be meat in the storehouse, that missions will flourish and be supported. A pastor is commanded to live even more modestly, spread the income among the church workers and then for the noodles, rice, dried fish, whatever to serve the missionaries. Excess funds aren't spared from being spent to support activities of the Church. As said, Christians must be by conscience NOT by coercion give their first fruits and tithes. However I would really gladly exempt anybody poor from giving those offerings. But in giving those offerings, I realize that God Himself and NOT me is the source of all things good, it teaches me to be not materialistic and to rely upon His provision. Based on my testimony, I gave my first fruit, God had managed to use that money to eventually save a person who was in financial dilemma and needed an operation. What a relief really to get all that sacrificed money to help somebody in need rather than me indulging in a lot of stuff I want and only to see others in need.

Here's what I thought are the expenses that are I have helped by my donations to the Church as well as every other faithful... it's me a nobody giving the great Somebody my thanks:
  • Christian education expenses like renovation for better services and new buildings
  • Missionary trips like the fee for boats and planes, boarding, etc.
  • People in financial need get helped eventually
  • Repairs for the building that would have killed the pastor's income who is allowed only a mere portion of the donations per Sunday.

What should amaze me is that people these days are so self-centered, they only care about making more money than usual rather than even give at least 10% to the Church for its expenses and their first fruits to help missions. Well for me, I personally believe that tithing is my standard for my giving to the Church, I don't care if you don't believe in not tithing at all as long as you give heartily and happily for the work of God thanking Him for even little what He has given. It does become a queer culture to the world for Christians to give their first fruits for God's work while they accumulate wealth to go abroad, spend on branded clothes, all these are going to get destroyed. As said, the cry is "Give me neither poverty nor riches." God will bless some to be rich, yes but not everybody will be rich. The blessing that cannot be accumulated is NOT about becoming wealthy in exchange for giving, rather it's a blessing to share to others creating a cycle of blessing to be shared.

Also should I MENTION about tithes and offerings SHOULD NOT be for the pastor's pocket and to make him go to trips abroad, get a private jet, a closet full of branded clothes, a limosine, etc. because that is NOT what it is about. Sad to say, some pastors are really robbing God by misusing the tithes and first fruits for their own personal expenses rather than for Church maintenance and mission expenses which is while the missions are low, his personal expenses are high. When that happens, such wolves in sheep's clothing prove how much of Judas Iscariots they are.