Sinful Living as an Argument Against the Bible

Charles Spurgeon said, "The only real argument against the Bible is an unholy life. When a man argues against the Word of God, follow him home, and see if you cannot discover the reason of his enmity to the Word of the Lord. It lies in some sort of sin."  This is really quite true.  In fact John 3:19-20 have been warning about the fact that man in his sinfulness refuses to come to the light lest their deeds be exposed in the light of God's Word.  I have noticed how people tend to argue against the Word of God and with their overly whining how much they hate Christians for being narrow-minded bigots and not giving into modernist standards, you might find something dirty about their lives that we never knew of.  Based on experience, I have noticed that before I got saved, I simply hated the Bible and reading it.  In fact, the reason why I began to hate reading the Bible was the reason that hit Martin Luther when he read the Scriptures finding about the righteousness of God.  I was too in love with the sin of idolatry and self-righteous, I wanted to continue living in secularism, that's why I used to hate God's Word.  Only when I began to desire to turn away from sin did I start to come to God's Word and discovered the only power over sin is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

With sinful men, I have also figured out that such people tend to think there's nothing wrong with them even when the obvious comes like being a drunkard, an extortioner, a thief, an adulterer, a homosexual, etc. they love to argue against God's Word and hate the Scriptures.  Their reason is because they think nothing is wrong with them which can help remind us of why Herodias wanted the head of John the Baptist.  Also, such people refuse to get saved because they know that getting saved not only means their sin must be dealt with but also, that they will hate sin.  While I don't expect instant maturity but such people are soon starting to hate sin.  Soon, such people as proof of true conversion abandon gambling, drinking, womanizing and all sort of smut and filth.  In fact, sinful living blinds people and as said, you cannot have salvation and sin all you want, that is not Biblical.  True converts though they may stumble into sin, however do not live a sinful life no matter how backslid they are, the pigpens of the world do not please them.