The More Christians Grow in Grace, the More They See They Are Nothing Without Jesus!

Reflecting on this quote by Arthur W. Pink, I could not help but agree more that growing in grace means growing downward when it comes to self.  The more the Christian works for God, the more self is downplayed and the more God Himself is glorified.  When I think of why my life changed, why I can endure persecutions, why I can learn to forgive even the worst of my foes, why I do not want to keep sinning is by God's grace as 1 Corinthians 15:10 says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."  

Remembering the song, "Amazing Grace" by John Newton, there is nothing but grace that changed the life of a wretched sinner to a wonderful soulwinner.  A Christian's performance of good works is not out of need but as the desire of the new man as a result of God's grace.  Romans 7:22 says, "For I delight in the law of God after the inward man."  The old man hates the Law, it wants to glorify itself but the new man seeks to glorify God.  The more a Christian grows in grace, the more it's always, "God's will be done." and "Not my will be done."  

When a person grows in grace, then it's for the greater glory of God and glory to God alone.  The more that the Christian realizes that nobody deserves the least of God's mercies, the more they do good works but not for themselves.  Ephesians 2:8-10 is clear with the truth that, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."  The Christian's good works is a result of God's grace and not of their own effort, it's God that works in them.