Spurgeon Quotes on Gambling

Here are Spurgeon quotes on gambling... enjoy!

"A young gambler is sure to be an old beggar if he lives long enough."

"I hold (gambling) to be fraught with more deadly evils than anything else that could be invented, even by Satan himself. I saw an old respectable-looking man put down ten pounds. He won, and he received twenty. He put down the twenty; he won again, and he had forty. He put down the forty, and received eighty. He put down the eighty, and took up one hundred and sixty pounds. Then he put it all in his pocket, and walked away as calmly as possible. The man would lose money by that transaction, because he would go back on the morrow, and probably play till he would sell the house that covers his children’s heads, and pawn the very bed from under his wife. The worst thing that can happen to a man who gambles is to win. If you lose, it serves you right, and there is hope that you will repent of your folly; if you win, the devil will have you in his net so thoroughly that escape will be well-nigh impossible. I charge every young man here, above all things never have anything to do with games of chance. If you desire to make your damnation doubly sure, and ruin both body and soul, go to the gaming-table; but if not, avoid it, pass by it, look not at it, for it has a basilisk’s eyes, and may entice you; and it has the sting of an adder, and will certainly destroy you if you come beneath its deadly influence."

"I can never look upon dice except with abhorrence. If you ask me why; I reply,— Because the soldiers at the foot of the cross threw dice for my Saviour’s garments, and I have never heard the rattling of dice but I have conjured up the dreadful scene of Christ upon his cross, and gamblers at the foot of it, with their dice bespattered with his blood. I do not hesitate to say that, of all sins, there is none that more surely damns men, and, worse than that, makes them the devil’s help to damn others, than gambling."