Biblical Preaching: Endangered But Not Extinct

The quote above by Steven Lawson really does make sense.  Ezekiel 29:30 says, "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none."  Psalm 94:16 says, "Who will rise up for me against the evildoers?  Or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"  In truth, not so many want the job because people want to be accepted by the world.  Some people tend to cower at the job of being a preacher of God because the more I read the glorious biographies of martyrs, the more I really see the pain they all went through just to preach the Word of God.

I am afraid that today we are really running out of preachers who really preach the truth as it should be.  When I am told that I would just be a poor preacher - their reasons are because I do not conform to the ways of the world.  Preach about having a good time and the pastor will have the support of the world.  Preach against sin and that Hell will be more than enough to punish all sins, the pastor is most likely going to get ridiculed and stoned.  When I read through 1 Kings 17-21, I really find Elijah to be a loser by the world's standards.  When I read the Book of Jeremiah whenever I have huge problems, it is obvious that the prophet Jeremiah was not a popular man because he stood by the Word of God.  What must be noted is that while popularity does not make you evil - it does not make evil right either.  What is good or bad is always determined by the Law (Galatians 3:24, Romans 3:19).  Sadly, most people are really ignorant of God's righteousness while trying to establish their own righteousness (Romans 10:2).

Biblical Christianity was never meant to be popular.  The Pope or any religious leader of a false religion may get several spotlights around the world while the true pastor of God is ridiculed for his stand against unbiblical doctrine.  Christians get wrongly labeled as criminals, bigots and nutcases.  Just think of Christians are going to jail when they do not deserve to go to jail.  You have Christians accused of hating homosexuals even if they are warning the latter of upcoming judgment.  Bibles and Christian literature get burned and destroyed as hate literature while all forms of filthy literature are praised to be wholesome.  To the world, being a Christian is worse than any other form of sin the world can throw into them.  Notice how Christians are berated for just one offense while the world can forgive (and condone) to any of the mistakes the others commit.  Such is the hypocrisy of the world against Christians and towards their own.  If you are going to stand for Christ then do not expect the world to stand by you.

Thank God that even if Biblical preaching is endangered that it is not extinct.  I still see that there are a few faithful remnants who stand by the Word of God.  I can still see a few pastors who do real expository preaching.  I can still see pastors who stand by the truth.  I still see them preaching against sin, rejecting Antinomianism and works salvation as heresies.  They stick to the Bible verse by verse and chapter by chapter in order to understand the Bible more and in turn, for the congregation to understand the Bible more.  They are still willing to preach even at the cost of rejection as Matthew 5:10-12 says, "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."