The Early Reformers Were Wrong About Mary's Virginity!

Some Roman Catholics are quick to pass and say, "Well if you know this the early Reformers did believe that Mary remained a virgin."  I would agree on that especially I have read through the Matthew Henry Commentary all six volumes and I have also read other early Protestant publications.  I have read through John Calvin's commentaries and the Geneva Study Bible.  Now they do contain a lot of content but I really can't fully agree with everything.  In research, you do not have to fully agree with all your sources.  If you read through research papers, any professional researcher would raise a statement of disagreement and agreement on certain sources.

While the Protestants do not adhere to Mary as sinless or co-mediator - however the early Protestant Christians bought the Romish heresy that Mary stayed a virgin and didn't have any children with Joseph.  I just thought that while the Geneva Study Bible has done a good job with explaining the doctrine of salvation and theology but I have to rebuke it for buying the heresy that Mary stayed a virgin.  Although they have read Psalm 69:8, they may have forgotten to look at it in context especially with Jewish culture.  I noticed even some Reformed Baptists even bought the heresy due to the fact that nobody is ever a perfect theologian.  Martin Luther, Huldyrch Zwingli and John Calvin kept the Roman Catholic heresy that Mary was ever-virgin.

Why do Protestant Christian views happen not to be always in harmony with the Reformers?  What I have observed about Protestant Christians is that the Bible is above the Reformers.  Although any good Presbyterian Christian may say, "John Knox was our founder." or I might say, "I am a Reformed Calvinist!", however people do make mistakes and that's what we must acknowledge.  No matter how I hold through Calvinism, I don't entirely agree with John Calvin like his view that the Antichrist was a dynasty which later Calvinists rejected.  I would also reject the view that futurism was just a heresy invented by a Jesuits which sadly, some genuine born again Christians tend to accuse me of drinking from the cup of Jesuit doctrine when I hold to a futurist view of the Antichrist.

The Reformers were indeed good expositors but even the best expositors are still prone to mistakes.  I noticed that John F. Macarthur doesn't hesitate to raise his objections and neither do I.  I noticed that although Macarthur has adhered to Calvinistic doctrine, he organized the Spurgeon archives as part of his ministries but he doesn't agree with Luther or Calvin 100%.  He doesn't even agree with Charles Spurgeon 100%.  Even if I deeply admire Spurgeon, I don't agree with him 100% either.  The reason why I don't agree with any theologian 100% is because they are fallible men like I am.  The Bible is the only infallible source that I can trust in Reformed Theology as it is always reforming.


See also:

Why I Believe Mary Did Not Remain a Virgin