Paul Washer's Quote to Slam the Prosperity Gospel

I really am so annoyed with all the prosperity gospel garbage because it is not biblical doctrine. When I became a Christian, it is not about what it has done for me but what I have done for God. If I am going to follow Christ, I can only expect to be ridiculed and persecuted. If I am going to follow Christ then I expect the whole world to leave me behind. Why do I expect that? John 15:18-19 warns that the Christians are not of the world. James 4:4 warns that you cannot be a friend of both the world and of God.

It is utterly foolish to say, "Receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you will get healing and prosperity. You will get a Mercedes Benz." The more I read through the words of Jesus, the more I realize He did not promise any of those garbage that the prosperity crowd promises. Instead, I read more warnings about persecution for His Name's sake. Being a Christian can also mean being unpopular, hated, rejected, a laughingstock for the wrong reasons. To the world, they would rather set Barabbas the murderer free and crucify Jesus. If they rejected the Lord and chose the thief, they will reject the followers of Jesus and accept the dirtiest sinners.

What real power does a Christian have? It is the power against sin. Titus 2:11-14 mentions that God's grace is the power against sin. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 shows how the worst of sinners can be changed into men who follow God. The real power of God is the grace of God that leads men to live righteously and soberly in a world of wickedness, the power against Satan as 1 John 4:4 declares the truth that greater is Christ that is in believers than the world system today. That is the real power of the Christian that by the grace of God they will have the power against sin and to declare the truth to a lost world.

See also: