To justify their practice of devotion to Mary, they misquote John 15:25-27:
John 15:25-27 - Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple standing by, whom He loved, He saith unto His mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. (King James Version)
John 19:25-27 - Standing close to Jesus' cross were His mother, His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. Jesus saw His mother and the disciple He loved standing there; so he said to his mother, "He is your son." Then He said to the disciple, "She is your mother." From that time the disciple took her to live in his home. (Good News Translation)
It's very easy to say, "See, you born again Christians or Protestants continue to dishonor Mary. You don't give her any importance. Look at Jesus. He honored her!" I can agree on that Jesus honored her but there's a difference between honoring Mary like honoring every other person in comparison to what Roman Catholics are actually doing with Mary. They have given her too much importance. What Jesus did for Mary was to give her provision. Notice that Jesus didn't call Mary "mother" anymore but only as woman in respect for her. Mary already knew Jesus is God and she isn't. It would be an insult to even call her as the "mother of God". She's Jesus' mother in His humanity and in due fairness Roman Catholics don't teach Mary is God.
On the other hand, Roman Catholics don't realize that they're actually giving Mary more importance than Jesus (who is God the Son) and the Trinity with what they do. If they're not worshiping Mary then why do they pray 53 Hail Marys, why do they keep praying to Mary (and some dare deny it) and worse, Mary is given these titles:
- Mother of God
- Conceived without sin (please check on 2 Corinthians 5:21)
- Our intercessor (please check on 1 Timothy 2:5, Hebrews 7:21-25)
- The ark of the covenant
- Gate of Heaven (please check John 10:1)
- Our life, our hope, our salvation
- Queen of Heaven (please check Jeremiah 44)
- Glory of Israel (please check 1 Samuel 5:29)
- Morning star (please check Revelation 22:16)
- Our Help (please check Hebrews 13:6)
- The way, the truth and the life (please check John 14:6)
- Author and finisher of our faith (please check Hebrews 12:2)
Worse, it can't be found anywhere in Scripture that Jesus invited people to Mary or told them that they must pass through her. Jesus was only talking to John to take care of Mary like she was the latter's mother. That's definitely not telling people that all must accept Mary as their mother. After John, there are no verses that even suggest that everyone must pass through Mary before they can pass through Jesus. It's all but a rejection of God's Word to keep their own tradition. Sad to say Roman Catholics just keep misquoting verses even Mark 7:8-9 while they're rejecting the full authority of God's Word to keep their own tradition.
Is Mary important? She's important just like every other Christian. Mary had her role and fulfilling that role was part of prophecy. Mary was already predestined to become the earthly mother of Jesus in His humanity. But that doesn't give her too much importance. She's a sinner saved by grace. She knew what she had to do. Jesus being God the Son could be born in her womb without sin because He is God and the sin nature was passed from the father. Jesus as the eternal Son of God surpasses Mary and He doesn't tell us to pass through her. That teaching is completely unbiblical.
- Does Devotion to Mary Bring a Person Closer to Christ?
- Illogical Arguments of Marian Fanatics Towards the Born Again Christian Stand on Mary
- Marian Idolatry on the Airplane
- Marian Apparitions Debunked
- Praying to Mary is Always Wrong
- So Catholics Don't Worship Mary? Not According to Roman Catholic "Saint" Alphonsus Liguori! The Subtle Deception of Mary Worship Examined
- The Use of Images in Worship Defeats God-Given Critical Thinking!