It's Sickening How Parents Love to Lie About Santa Claus While Wondering Why Their Children Lie to Them

It's really sickening how parents these days will always try to justify the Santa Claus lie isn't it? If you think about it, it's very common to lie during Christmas. What's even worse is that you have parents who lie about Santa Claus and say, "If you lie to me, I'll tell Santa Claus you lied to me and you're not getting any gifts!" Then come Christmas morning and the child discovers that Santa Claus isn't real.

The problem of lying about Santa Claus while teaching your child not to lie is basically follow what I say but not what I do type of parenting. It's a bad case of double standard. Let's see what the Bible says about the problem of double standard:
Matthew 23:3 - All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that obseve and do, but do not ye after their works; for they say and do not.
Romans 2:21-22 - Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? Thou that preachest a man should not steal dost thou steal? Thou sayest that a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? Thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

When it comes to teaching people to be honest then you should never show any dishonesty. No amount of trying to justify that lying about Santa Claus is just a "little white lie" will ever cover that up, When a child is told Santa Claus is not real, you can only expect them to get mad out of defense for the parent who lied to them. I remembered getting mad when I was told Santa Claus wasn't real out of defense of my parents until I realized I was really lied to. It was a sickening feeling and I still struggle with my lying habit until now but I'm not proud of such a trait. I wish I could only tell the truth all the time and I can only ask for God's grace to do so.

What's so sickening is that many times you hear it's better to tell a lie that will set a smile than a truth that will set a tear. No, the Bible says the truth must be told even if it sets a tear. Why is it that parents want their children to tell them the truth all the time when they don't? It reminded me of how a pastor was hammered at a mall because he told children Santa Claus wasn't real. This reveals the one truth about sinful nature. People only care about the truth only when it's convenient. They will make up convenient lies to mix up with truths they care about only because it's convenient.

If parents want to be credible about their authority then they better establish it by good example. Jesus lived by example. He practiced what He preached. As God the Son in the flesh, He set Himself an example of how to live. Living and teaching by example is what's badly needed. Parenting should always be living by example and not follow what I say but not what I do.

See also: