I remembered years ago when I read a now defunct atheist blog who admitted he used to be a Christian. What he meant that he used to be a Christian is that he was once a Roman Catholic. The average world today considers Roman Catholicism as well as other pseudo-Christian groups to be Christian when they aren't. Another atheist said he used to be a Christian until he read the Bible and found passages that horrified him. But there's one truth in that and that's those who criticize the Bible most are those who read it least. They haven't seen the context of events like why God ordered the destruction of evil civilizations.
And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; and have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended. And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,
Many get into "Christianity" because they think it has something for them. It's pretty much like Judas Iscariot where for three and a half years he was with the disciples but he never truly gave his life to Jesus. Many followed Jesus but soon decided to move away because He wasn't leading a revolution. Jesus' teachings to love one's enemies instead of leading a revolt against the Roman occupation must have further driven the crowd away. The worse is that when He warned that the Christian life is not an easy life. Many think that Christianity is all but a happy crowd but when they find out it isn't they move away. Some of them end up becoming atheists after they supposedly were part of Christianity. But the Bible calls them as false converts. Many have said a prayer or walked the isle but if they never repented then they were never converted to start with.
1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
It's not just "once saved always saved". Instead, true salvation results to the perseverance of the saints. The teaching itself is not that salvation is through persevering but true salvation results to perseverance by the grace of God. Christians may get discouraged but they never become ex-believers. If you see a person who says they used to be a Christian that person is lying. Christianity is not just a religion but it is also a relationship with God the Father through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Once you're in God's Kingdom there's going to be changes. Not only will your lifestyle change from sinning to serving but you can't undo your physical rebirth and go back to your sinful and/or self-righteous lifestyle.
- Arthur W. Pink on Why Atheists Hate God
- Atheist Media's Selective Outrage
- Be Careful of Pseudo-Knowledge Promoted by Intellectually Dishonest People
- Brash Atheists Are Ungrateful People in Science!
- Christian Schools Should Teach the Scientific Evidence Against Evolution in Their Science Class!
- Commentary on Romans 1:18-32- God's Wrath Against Natural Man
- Common Sense Really Tells Atheistic Evolution is Impossible!
- Despite God's Warnings, Many Atheists Harden Their Hearts Like the Pharaoh of the Exodus
- Does Science Disprove God or Prove God?
- God's Law is For Our Protection!
- God's Reason for Destroying Whole Civilizations is JUST AND FAIR!
- How Militant Atheism Actually Disrupts True Science!
- Isaac Newton's Quote on Atheism
- Jeffrey Dahmer's Tragic End Shows the Terrible Consequence for Saying That There Are No Absolutes
- Quotes from Darwin and Huxley That Might Shake Atheism's Foundation
- Refuting the Idea That Atheist Morality is Superior to Christian Morality
- The Problem of Atheists Rejecting God's Word and Blaming God For the Consequences!
- Testimony of Former Atheist Lee Strobel
- Testimony of Pastor William Murray
- The Arrogant Atheist and Self-Deluded Stupidity!
- The FOOLishness of Atheism
- The Hypocrisy of the Complete Tolerance Movement
- There is One Place for Atheists Where There Will Be NO Christians- HELL!
- Thomas Heinze's Questions to Poke Fun at Evolutionists
- To the Atheist: God is Not a Cosmic Killjoy
- True Christians DO NOT Depart
- Why Evolution is NOT Science
- What's Wrong with Atheism?