Holy week is over. Is it time to return to being worldly? God forbid! It's time to share these verses about holiness in the Christian life:
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
2 Corinthians 7:1-3
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man. I speak not this to condemn you: for I have said before, that ye are in our hearts to die and live with you.
And be renewed in the Spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
1 Thessalonians 4:6-8
That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us His Holy Spirit.
For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; and make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
1 Peter 1:14-16
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: but as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I Am holy.
Holiness is an inevitable characteristic that's dealt with daily in any genuine Christian. Without holiness no man can see the Lord. This can be seen in two ways. Without God's holiness you are doomed to Hell. Without any growth in holiness nobody can see the Lord. It's reality that holiness characterizes every true Christian. They are to be partakers of the Spirit and not of the flesh. Being born again means to be born in true holiness from the power of sin to the power of the Holy Spirit. It means to conform to the image of righteousness of God. Is the Christian perfect? They aren't perfect yet but they're being perfected. They're still work to be done but God will continue to work with the believer. This is what sanctification is about. Philippians 2:12-13 says that you work out your salvation with fear and trembling. It's God that works in the Christian. It must be worked out daily. This fear and trembling is not because salvation can be lost but rather this fear and trembling is because you're getting more and more exposed to how holy God is and how unworthy you are of even a drop of salvation.
There's no such thing as a Christian who hates holiness and sanctification. It's upsetting how I met a person who claimed to be a Christian but he was actually teaching barren Christianity. He said it was possible to be saved and never change. When I asked for passages he just got personal and took a lot of verses out of context. I told him this verse and that verse and yet he insisted in his error. I have no reason to believe that such a person has truly been born again. If you have been born again your view towards the holiness of God should make you love holiness and sanctification. But that guy showed several signs he was a false convert when he insisted Christians may still remain the same after salvation. That teaching is nowhere in the Bible. He also hates Charles H. Spurgeon and called Calvinistic preachers as "Jesuits" because they exposed his error of barren Christianity. It looks like that guy would rather sin without remorse and he would rather believe that Christ would save people just from the penalty of sin and not from sin itself.
If your holiness is just on holy week that it's not holiness but hypocrisy. I always feel that maybe holy week is best renamed as hypocritical week for many Roman Catholics. How many Roman Catholics try to live their best during the Lenten season but they return to being worldly on Easter Sunday? If you have true holiness then it's not just on holy week but it's every week, every day, every hour, every minute and every second of your life must be dedicated to holiness by God's grace. For one God's grace is not something that's restrained only for holy week or Christmas but it's a daily walk with Christ.
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
- Arminianism and Antinomianism are Enemies of Biblical Preaching
- Antinomianism is Heresy
- Antinomianism is One Gospel Which is Not Another
- Are You Going to Church or Just to a Nice Building on a Finely Manicured Lawn?
- Beware: Nobody Can Love Jesus While Hating the Scriptures!
- By God's Grace: No Christian Can Ever Love Sin!
- Can A Truly Saved Christian Sin All They Please? NOT A CHANCE According to Scriptures!
- Can You Hate Law and Order and Have the Credibility to Talk About God?
- Cheap Grace Theology is Deadly
- Charles H. Spurgeon's Quote as a Good Friday Reflection
- Declare a Spiritual War Against the Heresy of Teaching the Possibility of a Fruitless Christianity!
- Do Roman Catholics Understand the True Meaning Behind Good Friday?
- "Easy Baptists" Are Insulting Old Fashioned Christianity!
- "Easy Christianity" Churches Are Also Leading People to Hell
- "Easy Christianity" Seeks To Separate Itself From Sound Doctrine!
- Good Friday Reflection: Jesus' Sacrificial Love Made Him Take God's Judgment For Sin For Us!
- Good Friday Reminder: Jesus' Death Is to Liberate You from Your Sin Not to Liberate You to Sin
- How Does Authentic Faith Differ From Superficial Faith?
- If Your Gospel Is Celebrating Sin, Then It Is Not the Real Gospel of Jesus Christ at All
- Jesus Died For Sin Because Man is Not Basically Good
- No, Grace is Not an Excuse to Keep Living in Sin!
- No Truly Saved Pastor Ever Teaches Grace Is a License to Sin
- Remember Celebrating Holy Week Is To Remember What Has ALREADY BEEN DONE, NOT SOMETHING THAT IS REPEATEDLY DONE!
- The Call of Salvation Is Salvation FROM Sin, NOT Salvation to Sin!
- The Church Is a Hospital for REPENTANT Sinners and NOT a Haven for Unrepentant Sinners!
- The Closet Antinomians Are Exposing Themselves
- The Foolishness of People Who Want Jesus as Their Savior but Not as Their Lord
- The Immature Christian Struggling in Sin vs. The False Convert Reveling in Sin
- The Jesus of "Easy Christianity" is ANOTHER JESUS!
- The Problem of Seeker Sensitive Preaching
- The Widespread Growing Plague of Popularity Driven Churches
- Understanding the Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ
- Watered Down Preaching Against Sin Is An Insult to the Cross of Jesus Christ!
- What Did Jesus Mean "IT IS FINISHED"?