The Sad Truth About Dr. Jack Frasure Hyles and the Hylestic Baptist Movement

Today is the death anniversary of Dr. Jack Hyles and I remembered how I used to adore the man, I used to read Jesus-is-Savior (until said site started to make me doubt my salvation because I always believed in repentance of sins for salvation and receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior) yet it turns out that this guy is actually a sexual reprobate. I remembered I wanted to get someone to find evidence to defend Hyles from what some may call to be a "Jesuit conspiracy" to discredit him and the Baptist movement yet the evidence is quite overwhelming on how we have fake Baptist churches around! They may not be necessarily Jesuit creations but they are still dangerous doors to Hell nonetheless!

So what's the whole truth about the late Hyles and his movement? While I do appreciate some of his writings about sin in American society - yet he also introduced the dangerous doctrine of easy believism. It would be a very dangerous thing where he teaches the following heresies:
  • Repentance unto salvation is merely repentance from unbelief.
  • Submitting to the Lordship of Christ is completely optional.

Lordship salvation's historic position vs. Jack Hyles' easy believism

This is the problem of misunderstanding the doctrine of lordship salvation. Some think Lordship salvation is defined as adding works to faith, conditional security (where you lose your salvation) and I used to think that's what it means. I remembered how often I raised some eyebrows when I said I didn't believe in lordship salvation while I believed in repentance of sins and receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Here's how Theopedia defines lordship salvation:
Lordship salvation is the position that receiving Christ involves a turning in the heart from sin and, as a part of faith, a submissive commitment to obey Jesus Christ as Lord. It also maintains that progressive sanctification and perseverance must necessarily follow conversion. Those who hold to the doctrine of perseverance of the saints see this not only as a requirement, but an assured certainty according to the sustaining grace of Christ. 
The doctrine of lordship salvation has implications for evangelism, assurance, and the pursuit of holiness. The grace of God in salvation not only forgives, but transforms, and a lack of obedience or transformation in a person's life is warrant to doubt that they have been born again. The grounds for assurance include not only the objective promises of God (like John 3:16), but also the internal testimony of the Spirit (Romans 8:16) and holiness the Spirit produces in our lives (1 John 2:3-4,19).

The doctrine of lordship salvation can also be defined as this - if your Jesus is not Lord or Kurious then you're not saved at all. If Jesus is not your Lord and Master then He was never your Savior to start with. The problem of saying that you receive Jesus as Lord is completely optional is not biblical. How many times do you see people call Jesus as Lord for salvation? Even the KJV stresses it in Romans 10:9-10 that you confess the Lord Jesus Christ - I don't see any reason why the New International Version translation as "Jesus is Lord" is any different. I may no longer use the NIV as my default Bible translation and prefer the KJV but Jesus is Lord. If He is not Lord then He can't become your Savior. Only the Lord can be the Savior of mankind!

This also reminded me of how I ran into a diehard Hylestic who believes in the heresy that you can be saved but never change. After a long argument - he decided to do some Ad Hominems, called me a Jesuit shill with some very faulty evidence, and hurled insult after insult since he could no longer defend his stand! I don't find the whole save and never change anywhere in the Bible! I read the Old Testament and the New Testament and I find it always that salvation leads to a changed life! Nobody can be saved and never change. Jesus warned in Matthew 7:14-20 that by their fruits you will know them. 1 Corinthians 6:11 talks about redemption from an immoral lifestyle. Ephesians 2:8-10 and Titus 2:11-14 says that true grace teaches godliness. Jude 1:3 warns that it's a sin to turn God's grace into lasciviousness. Only false converts will believe that they have a license to sin. Truly once saved always saved people will never want to live in sin out of gratitude towards God. They may struggle, they may backslide but they desire to be free of their sin forever.

Worse, I've started seeing some Hyles followers end up having little to no holiness. One of them wears indecent clothing looking like a whore. Another admits that he can murder three million people and still be saved. If you are saved then you simply can't live a murderous lifestyle. David may have murdered Uriah but his repentance of it proved he was a saved man. This is sad how many Hylestics believe that they can be saved and never change!

Sexually immoral cult leader Jack Hyles' double life

Although David W. Cloud is a non-Calvinist yet he does teach about lordship salvation. After I checked it over and over again - I don't see Cloud teaching works to be saved or seeing him say you can lose your salvation. Rather, I'm talking about how Jesus-is-Savior almost made me doubt my salvation reading it and I did miss a LOT of heresies from the site. I thought it was just a Jesuit attempt to discredit David J. Stewart but somehow it's been proven he's a sexually immoral pervert. I usually just visited the site for conspiracy theories - something I've dropped several years ago! Now, I decided to visit Way of Life website again to get some more information on Hyles in the article "The Women Who Knew Jack Hyles".

So it turns out that Hyles according to his own daughter was a sexual reprobate. Here's an interesting thing that exposes Hyles as a sexually immoral pervert and fear-mongering pastor:
My dad pastored a church that evolved into a 50,000-member cult. It operated and still operates under the guise of an independent fundamental Baptist church. But those who have left, the followers who have tried to leave, the outsiders, even the media (it was on 20/20 last year) recognize that it is clearly a cult. 
Every member was in complete obedience to my father. They didn’t dare disagree or be disloyal, for fear of being publicly ridiculed or punished or banished for doing so. They didn’t go on a vacation without asking my dad’s permission, and if he had said to drink the Kool-aid, I’m not kidding, they would have. 
“My dad lived a double life, one of a righteous family man and of a dynamic speaker in the public eye, but [another] one of sordid sexual secrets privately, secrets that only my siblings and me and my mom knew. He hated my mom. Hated her. Treated her terribly. Abused her. And even turned his own children against their mother. We hated her. He told us she was crazy. We thought to make him happy, we would hate her too. Our home was so full of turmoil, hatred, stress, strife, and as a little girl, it was isolating, it was intense, and it was frightening. He had affairs. He had a mistress for many years, the wife of a Sunday School teacher. He built her family a beautiful home right around the corner from our house. You could see their family from our back door. It was craziness, living one way, preaching another. 
“My older brother became another version of my father. He pastored a church in Texas and was found to be having affairs with 14 different women. He divorced his wife and married one of the 14. My father tried desperately to cover it up. He moved him to another church where he was found to have had 17 affairs with different women, and he just recreated what he had seen my dad live. And my dad did nothing but cover it up. 
“I felt like I had one main responsibility as a child. It was simple, but daunting, and that was to keep all the secrets, and there were so many. 
“You see, he had taught us that the best way to please God was to please him, because he was God’s man. He taught us that to please him we had to keep all the secrets. We could never even tell our best friends what went on in our home, because we might be the cause of the destruction of his ministry. I literally feared for my very life if I ever told what went on in our home, for fear that it would hurt his ministry. I was so afraid, and the greater the secrets, the greater my fear, and the greater my determination to keep quiet
He was very wealthy. And even to our adult years, he owned us. He owned our homes, our cars, our furniture. He owned our lives, and we didn’t dare cross him, because we were too afraid we would lose everything. He died a multi-millionaire. He left nothing to his children. He left everything to the organization, which my younger sister and her husband now lead. [This was before Jack Schaap got caught in adultery with a teenager.] And they still perpetuate his legacy: the strict rules, the undying loyalty, and they still try to keep all the secrets” (Linda Murphrey’s testimony at the TEDxOjaiChange event in Ojai, California, April 5, 2012).

This is scary when one's own family reveals the family's dirty laundry in public. I laud Linda Murphrey here for one good reason - the public deserves to know the truth about Hyles. I used to think she was probably a Jesuit plant or betrayed her family to the Jesuits. But no, it turns out that the Hyles family was no better than the Roman Catholic institution that they so preached against! Come to think about it - Hyles was pretty much the Pope of the Easy Baptist movement! The Popes have covered up the sins of his priests and Hyles has done the same thing! Hyles like the Roman Catholic institution has been guilty of claiming absolute authority, fear-mongering and blackmailing as his tactics to run a church. Also, it turns out he didn't die a poor man but he had much wealth and died with millions of dollars!

This is pretty much what Jesus condemned the Pharisees in Matthew 23 that they say and do not (Matthew 23:3). The Apostle Paul also warned that if you teach then you must walk the talk (Romans 2:21). Hyles was no better than the Roman Catholic priests who preach a sermon on adultery in the pulpit while serving communion to adulterous couples at the same time! How could Hyles be a youth pastor and be a marriage counselor when he himself is an adulterous prick of a pastor? Pastors caught in sexual immorality need to repent and relieve themselves of their responsibilities. But Hyles had done none of that! He maintained a deceitful pastorate that caused so much confusion for years to come - I was even among the many who got deceived by it!

Conclusion

Although Hyles has plenty of good materials yet it's time to expose him for what he is - a double standard cult leader. Pastors need to know that the whole investigation against said pastor is not a Jesuit operation. It's no different than the late Tony Alamo proven guilty of having sex with underaged women and cult leadership. It's safe to assume that Hyles isn't rejoicing in Heaven now but burning in Hell, sad to say!

See also: